We thought we would try something different. Something original. Something very dramatic – we wish. Its Friday so why not treat yourself, and make an awesome meal this weekend at a minimal price. So, you’re probably wondering what on earth is Foodie Friday, well each Friday we will publish one awesome recipe. The student recipes will be pretty simple, but yet very cost effective. The first recipe up is – Mac’n’Cheese.
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Half a finely chopped onion
- 1 pinch paprika or cayenne pepper (optional)
- ½ tsp of salt
- In a saucepan bring water to the boil with 1/2 a teaspoon of salt and add the macaroni. Boil the macaroni until it is el dente (cooked but firm) about 8 minutes. Stir occasionally. Drain and set aside.
- In another saucepan on a low heat melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Be careful not to burn it. Stir in the flour until it becomes a thick paste and add the milk. Add 2 cups of shredded cheese with the onions and stir on a low heat to stop from burning until the cheese has melted and becomes a thick sauce.
- Add the macaroni and paprika or cayenne pepper and stir. Serve hot. It can be refrigerated and reheated.
- For the more adventurous, you can put macaroni cheese into a casserole dish and brown the top in the oven.
- Dice some bacon into small cubes cook, and then mix into dish.
- Buy some breadcrumbs, put the cooked macaroni on a casserole dish and sprinkle over. Then put into oven for 15-20 minutes at 200 degrees.
Now, please do not tell us that the recipe is boring. As we even provided you with various additions. Perfect your culinary skills with this awesome cheap student dish, who knows your future husband or wife might fall in love with you because of your great cooking.